Saroj Ghoting debuted her STAR POWER™ workshop at five Ohio public libraries in August 2011. The Ohio Ready to Read Task Force sponsored these workshops and contributed content. These workshops focused on introducing PLA/ALSC's Every Child Ready to Read @ your library® 2nd edition. Workshop content also included connections between ECRR1 and ECRR2, storytime enhancements, library environments, a showcase of existing Ohio library programs that support the five practices, and an overview of resources and tools available from Ohio Ready to Read.
Download and share these STAR POWER™ workshop resources with your library staff:
- Workshop agenda
- STAR POWER™ slide presentation by Saroj Ghoting. This file includes the slides from Saroj's presentation in notes/handout view.
- Workshop materials from Saroj's website. This site provides the workshop handouts not otherwise linked here, plus additional resources.
- Early Literacy Enhanced Storytimes Incorporating ECRR2 - ideas on how to share the six early literacy skills and the five practices through storytime development and early literacy asides. Provided by Saroj Ghoting.
- Preschool Demonstration Storytime: Big and Small - a storytime outline demonstrating early literacy asides. Provided by Saroj Ghoting.
- Music in Early Literacy Storytimes - a tipsheet on how to incorporate music into activities for each of the six skills, plus recommended CDs. Provided by Elaine Betting.
- Book Bingo - a passive program to keep families learning and building on what the children learn in storytimes. Provided by Krista Tokarz.
- Bookworms: The Very Hungry Caterpillar - sample program from a book club for pre-readers and their caregivers. Each week, the group reads a book, splits up for small group discussion questions, and does lots of extension activities so that kids walk away with a deeper understanding of the book. Provided by Marisa Glaviano.
- Fun with Art - a family program for ages 2-5 to explore the messy world of art, with stations designed to encourage "writing" skills in a creative way with paint, storytelling and even shaving cream or play-dough. Provided by Krista Tokarz.
STAR POWER™ in Ohio was sponsored by the Ohio Ready to Read Task Force and the Children's Services Division of the Ohio Library Council, with technical support from the State Library of Ohio and the Ohio Library Council. The workshops were funded through a grant from the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), awarded by the State Library of Ohio.