Share these booklists with parents and caregivers, or use them to find new-to-you titles for storytime, readers' advisory, and displays!
- Reading Rockets offers a collection of over 100 themed booklists covering a wide range of children's interests and developmental areas. Browse lists on dozens of topics from feelings to seasons to science and math, plus a section of tips and recommended books for families of children with disabilities.
- We Need Diverse Books collects and disseminates resources about Race, Equity, Anti-Racism, and Inclusion, including links to selected, recommended booklists for readers of all ages.
- Reading Race in Picture Books with Children is a resource guide from EmbraceRace suitable for both families and professionals. It includes booklists, guidance on selecting books, and tips on how to develop a race-conscious perspective when reading books to and with children.
- Children's Literacy Foundation shares a collection of booklists that are maintained and updated on Pinterest, including a dozen boards about early childhood topics and attributes such as board books, wordless books, rhyming books, and funny books.
- ALSC's Notable Children's Books is an annual list of new titles deemed by a selection committee to be the best of the best. The list for younger readers covers preschool through grade 2.
- Babies Need Words Every Day, a project of the ALSC Early Childhood Programs and Services Committee, helps libraries support and encourage caregivers by providing friendly materials to encourage reading, singing, and talking with babies. Download the Babies Need Words Every Day Booklist Brochure to print and share with families.
- This blog post on Literacy for Youth with Low Vision, from Adaptive Umbrella, includes a list of high-contrast board books and picture books.
- The 2014 ORTR Booklist (PDF) sorts good books under each of the Six Skills AND Five Practices, so every book on the list supports both a skill and a practice.
- While focused toward school-age children, the Ohio Whole Child Booklist (PDF) of titles that promote empathy, persistence, and resilience is a helpful resource that includes many titles suitable for preschool storytime and early school-age programming. It was developed in 2016 with input from over a dozen Ohio librarians.
Have a booklist to share? Contact ORTR and we will add it to this page! Thank you for helping us build our library.